Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Volunteer night in the ER

It's nights like tonight that make me wonder how I will handle working for others.  Because I've been in business for myself for almost 14 years now, if I make a mistake, it's my mistake.  Made one this week and you just deal with it when and if it happens.  Thankfully, the mistake wasn't major although it was costly.  I showed up to deliver a lunch on Monday that was scheduled for Tuesday.  Of course I did a free lunch on Tuesday, but it was my fault, so....just had to do it.  The client made me feel good though because she said, "What happened?  You never mess up?"  Had to burst her bubble and tell her I'm only human.  LOL

Tonight, however, it seems that when I finally am able to get my RN license and begin working for someone else, there will be many who love to point the finger at you even when you do nothing wrong.  As a volunteer, I help housekeeping when they need it to more quickly turn rooms over in order to get the patients out of the waiting room and into the back to be seen.  I got a little surprise tonight when a call came up front to tell us that no one other than housekeeping should be cleaning rooms because one room that was told to be ready to fill had blood on the floor from a prior patient.  It has always been my personal policy that if urine, blood or feces are present in a room, I have not been trained to properly dispose of that material and I don't clean those room.  I'm not sure if she was covering her ass by using me as a scapegoat or not, but I can tell you this.  I never cleaned any rooms where blood was present.    I guess CYA is a skill set I am going to have to re-acquire should I ever decide to enter the work force for someone other than myself.

Other that that, the patients were good and the work was plentiful.  I didn't know a lot of the staff tonight again, so not as many friendly faces as I would like, but hopefully, one of these days everyone will know me and I'll feel like one of the gang rather than the, "Who the hell is that girl?" girl.  From here forward I have no idea what kind of schedule I'll be able to keep because of school.  I'll do what I feel comfortable doing and nothing more because my first priority other than my business and husband is school.

Hump day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment